Who is Vito Gomes?
I don't know who Vito is, but his shuttle bus driver was waiting for him at Istanbul's Ataturk airport. Vito never came, just like my shuttle bus driver, so I would have been more than happy to snag his...
I didn't sleep well Saturday night anticipating the busy travel day I would have Sunday! Nicole and I stepped out of Gothic Point hostel into heavy rain and booked it for the metro. I have no idea how I did it, but I hoisted both bags and ran down the stairs for cover. We walked for AGES to get to the train platform, up and down stairs over and over, and I was thrilled when we were finally on our way and seated on the train.
After Nicole got checked in for her 2pm flight, I staked out one of the few chairs and read for 3 hours straight -- finally finished a book I've been working on! And then I easily checked in on Lufthansa and found my gate. Of course the flight ended up being delayed 30 minutes, but I was pleasantly surprised by the ample leg room and *really* good food on the plane. Lufthansa rules.
When I landed in Istanbul, purchasing my visa and getting through immigration and customs couldn't have been any easier. As I have already mentioned, however, I waited an hour and a half for my shuttle bus driver before giving up and talking to one of the shuttle companies at the airport. I ended up paying more than I wanted, but at 3:30am I just wanted to get to the hostel.
I'm on a really confusing street which I'm hoping to navigate in a couple of hours after breakfast. I spent the night on the terrace as I don't have a room until check in today...curled up on a tiny bench with a blanket, feeling the breeze around me, listening to LOUD seagulls, and appreciating the sounds of the morning call to prayer that sounded from every mosque in town for a good 30 minutes. The sun was really bright by 6am, and by 7am I found Maggie on the other side of the terrace -- a nice woman from Melbourne.
I hear it is time for food, so until next time!
I don't know who Vito is, but his shuttle bus driver was waiting for him at Istanbul's Ataturk airport. Vito never came, just like my shuttle bus driver, so I would have been more than happy to snag his...
I didn't sleep well Saturday night anticipating the busy travel day I would have Sunday! Nicole and I stepped out of Gothic Point hostel into heavy rain and booked it for the metro. I have no idea how I did it, but I hoisted both bags and ran down the stairs for cover. We walked for AGES to get to the train platform, up and down stairs over and over, and I was thrilled when we were finally on our way and seated on the train.
After Nicole got checked in for her 2pm flight, I staked out one of the few chairs and read for 3 hours straight -- finally finished a book I've been working on! And then I easily checked in on Lufthansa and found my gate. Of course the flight ended up being delayed 30 minutes, but I was pleasantly surprised by the ample leg room and *really* good food on the plane. Lufthansa rules.
When I landed in Istanbul, purchasing my visa and getting through immigration and customs couldn't have been any easier. As I have already mentioned, however, I waited an hour and a half for my shuttle bus driver before giving up and talking to one of the shuttle companies at the airport. I ended up paying more than I wanted, but at 3:30am I just wanted to get to the hostel.
I'm on a really confusing street which I'm hoping to navigate in a couple of hours after breakfast. I spent the night on the terrace as I don't have a room until check in today...curled up on a tiny bench with a blanket, feeling the breeze around me, listening to LOUD seagulls, and appreciating the sounds of the morning call to prayer that sounded from every mosque in town for a good 30 minutes. The sun was really bright by 6am, and by 7am I found Maggie on the other side of the terrace -- a nice woman from Melbourne.
I hear it is time for food, so until next time!

2 Comments:
I have a feeling this trip is the biggest "adventure" you've had so far. :)
On which side of the Bosporus are you now? Europe or Asia?
By
Anonymous, at 2:35 AM
So glad you're okay. You're creating quite a few memories there girl!
Ah! To be with you. Regardless of which side of the Bosporus you're on, looks like you'll visit Asia and Europe on the same day. Be sure to take lots of pictures of the Church of Hagia Sophia. I understand it is quite remarkable.
You are loved Heather. Happy Memorial Day. Everyone from the office coming over today for a cookout. We'll miss you.
By
Anonymous, at 11:55 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home