Oh happy day and a holy experience
JOY! The student group packed up and left town this morning and I could not be more thrilled. I was a walking zombie but visibly perked up at the breakfast table when I noticed their mound of suitcases near the reception desk.
Nicole and I got ready early and successfully navigated the Metro to a train, which took us to Montserrat. The name means ¨the serrated mountains¨ and the views are pretty spectacular. In addition to the views, there is an old church and monastery up top, and the boys choir is known to draw a crowd -- we heard them sing at 1pm along with hundreds of other people. We arrived around 10:45am after a light drizzle so there was just enough fog to make the mountain like pretty spooky :-)
We had read that the only food at Montserrat was expensive so we packed our meals. Needless to say, we spotted a regularly-priced cafe with coffee and pastries rather quickly and caved to a pastry filled with what looked like the equivalent of the cream in a boston cream dessert. Let me tell you, it was 50 times better than that. I very rarely eat pastries, but this was one of the most wonderful things I have ever had the pleasure of eating. As someone said, it was a holy experience O:-)
I am only in Barcelona for two more days!! Where did the time go?! Sunday I leave for the airport early with Nicole for her flight, and then my flight for Istanbul does not leave until 7pm. I will arrive at 2am and have decided that unless I meet another tourist who wants to split a shuttle at that crazy hour, I will sit in a corner or on a bench until 6am when the metro opens. Then I hope to navigate Istanbul´s interesting looking transportation system and arrive at my Sultanahmet hostel relatively unscathed.
Abrazos!
JOY! The student group packed up and left town this morning and I could not be more thrilled. I was a walking zombie but visibly perked up at the breakfast table when I noticed their mound of suitcases near the reception desk.
Nicole and I got ready early and successfully navigated the Metro to a train, which took us to Montserrat. The name means ¨the serrated mountains¨ and the views are pretty spectacular. In addition to the views, there is an old church and monastery up top, and the boys choir is known to draw a crowd -- we heard them sing at 1pm along with hundreds of other people. We arrived around 10:45am after a light drizzle so there was just enough fog to make the mountain like pretty spooky :-)
We had read that the only food at Montserrat was expensive so we packed our meals. Needless to say, we spotted a regularly-priced cafe with coffee and pastries rather quickly and caved to a pastry filled with what looked like the equivalent of the cream in a boston cream dessert. Let me tell you, it was 50 times better than that. I very rarely eat pastries, but this was one of the most wonderful things I have ever had the pleasure of eating. As someone said, it was a holy experience O:-)
I am only in Barcelona for two more days!! Where did the time go?! Sunday I leave for the airport early with Nicole for her flight, and then my flight for Istanbul does not leave until 7pm. I will arrive at 2am and have decided that unless I meet another tourist who wants to split a shuttle at that crazy hour, I will sit in a corner or on a bench until 6am when the metro opens. Then I hope to navigate Istanbul´s interesting looking transportation system and arrive at my Sultanahmet hostel relatively unscathed.
Abrazos!

1 Comments:
What are the chances of you overnighting one of those pastries? Consider it an early Christmas (Fathers Day, Birthday, Flag Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July...I don't care!) gift. Not that I like sweets mind you, but you made it sound so good. Say that you at least took a photo!
Godspeed to Istanbul. My regards to Nicole.
By
Anonymous, at 9:19 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home