A little big of England in Spain
Of course I have to start off with last night´s sleep report: After folks were quiet around midnight, I was able to fall asleep and sleep soundly, just like the night before.
Roomie report: Nice and quiet! But sadly it´s not like it was in OZ, when I made lots of friends at the Sydney hostel.
I´m finding it more and more challenging to get up in the morning! Today my 7am alarm buzzed for 10-15 seconds before I even realized what it was. This was our earliest wake up call yet, but we wanted to get to Sagrada Familia as early as possible. Much to our surprise it took 50 minutes to walk there, but we were rewarded with gorgeous views...definitely tops my list of monuments in Barcelona now! The church has been under construction for over 100 years and they project that it won´t be completed until 2030!! More notes and photos on this fantastically cool Gaudi design when I return home.
After exiting the church we ate at one of the several buffet chains we´d seen in town. I was excited about finally eating some vegetables, but the fresh, yummy looking photos on the front of the store in no way resembled the quality of food on the inside :-( Later I heard some other hostel mates lament about another chain we were considering, so no more buffets for us -- the semi-decent salad isn´t enough of a draw.
To make up for the lunch, we headed next door to McDonalds (something I thought I´d never do) because I spotted a sign advertising a LION MCFLURRY!! Dave and Robin introduced me to Lion bars in London last May, and at the time it was my first candy bar in *years*. Although McDonalds ice cream isn´t high quality, the McFlurry hit the spot.
We walked off dessert by returning to the Arc de Triomf and the Parc de la Ciutadella. Along the way Nicole and I had great conversations, and our chats this week have probably been more meaningful and enjoyable than the things we´re doing and seeing together. I´m going to miss her so much when she moves back to NY in a couple of weeks, because even though we´ll continue to communicate, nothing beats face-to-face.
We´re now back at the hostel to take a break, enjoy a Cruzcampo (a Spanish beer I first tried it in London), and head out for tapas -- either at a place Nicole´s former boss recommended or one that our friend Bethany suggested (she was here 2 months ago).
¡Es el fin de semana...hasta tarde!
Of course I have to start off with last night´s sleep report: After folks were quiet around midnight, I was able to fall asleep and sleep soundly, just like the night before.
Roomie report: Nice and quiet! But sadly it´s not like it was in OZ, when I made lots of friends at the Sydney hostel.
I´m finding it more and more challenging to get up in the morning! Today my 7am alarm buzzed for 10-15 seconds before I even realized what it was. This was our earliest wake up call yet, but we wanted to get to Sagrada Familia as early as possible. Much to our surprise it took 50 minutes to walk there, but we were rewarded with gorgeous views...definitely tops my list of monuments in Barcelona now! The church has been under construction for over 100 years and they project that it won´t be completed until 2030!! More notes and photos on this fantastically cool Gaudi design when I return home.
After exiting the church we ate at one of the several buffet chains we´d seen in town. I was excited about finally eating some vegetables, but the fresh, yummy looking photos on the front of the store in no way resembled the quality of food on the inside :-( Later I heard some other hostel mates lament about another chain we were considering, so no more buffets for us -- the semi-decent salad isn´t enough of a draw.
To make up for the lunch, we headed next door to McDonalds (something I thought I´d never do) because I spotted a sign advertising a LION MCFLURRY!! Dave and Robin introduced me to Lion bars in London last May, and at the time it was my first candy bar in *years*. Although McDonalds ice cream isn´t high quality, the McFlurry hit the spot.
We walked off dessert by returning to the Arc de Triomf and the Parc de la Ciutadella. Along the way Nicole and I had great conversations, and our chats this week have probably been more meaningful and enjoyable than the things we´re doing and seeing together. I´m going to miss her so much when she moves back to NY in a couple of weeks, because even though we´ll continue to communicate, nothing beats face-to-face.
We´re now back at the hostel to take a break, enjoy a Cruzcampo (a Spanish beer I first tried it in London), and head out for tapas -- either at a place Nicole´s former boss recommended or one that our friend Bethany suggested (she was here 2 months ago).
¡Es el fin de semana...hasta tarde!

2 Comments:
Ok I'm going to keep up with your blog now :)
Yay for the Lion McFlurry!
Glad things are going well :)
By
Evan G, at 8:49 AM
Paradise sounds a lot like having Ice Cream in my favorite Country on each Continent. Ahhhh.
Glad you're having a good time.
You? Drink a beer? Who are you and what have you done with Heather!
My love from Barboursville.
By
Anonymous, at 6:45 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home