It doesn't happen to you, you happen to life

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

We don´t get Spain

Posting about Sunday...my internet access is very limited at the new hostel, and that´s the least of my worries about it. It´s my least favorite hostel ever -- dirty and loud and just gross. Expect posts later in the week or when I return home :-P

Nicole and I really like Barcelona now but we still state every day that we just don´t get the city sometimes...so maybe it´s more that we don´t get Catalunya than Spain ;-)

It didn´t help that the events of Sunday followed another nearly sleepless night...I don´t know why, but I seem to only sleep every other night here.

With it being Sunday, Nicole and I weren´t sure what would be open, but we hoped that the market would be. It wasn´t. We figured we´d just get breakfast once we arrived at Montjuic, the fantastic mountain that seems to rise out of nowhere on one side of the city. Instead of walking or taking the metro, we opted to take the cable cars. We arrived and they weren´t open yet...oops. Opening time came and no employees
arrived. People grew restless. More time went by. People grew really restless. We applauded when someone finally arrived. And I enjoyed talking to an English woman in front of me. She was really funny and she and her husband have a home in England, one in Barcelona, and one somewhere else. Must be nice.

Once at Montjuic, I was rewarded with the best views I´ve had of the city thus far. And for better or worse, this was the best part of the next 5 hours.

From my last few trips, I have learned that I´m a really good navigator in cities and learn the layout very quickly. Today, however, Montjuic baffled us both. We only saw one of the things/places we really wanted to see (the Olympic Stadium and park, which was only mildly impressive) and we *never* found a place to eat. By the time we made it back down to sea level, we headed straight for Nuria since we knew we liked
the food. I asked for a bacon, ham, mushroom, and artichoke pizza (I felt like being bad) and was surprised when a pizza with olives and some kind of meat was placed in front of me. I didn´t say anything because I was so hungry...and I guessed that the meat was pork. Hours later Nicole looked at the receipt and informs me that it was tuna. Wicked fabulous tuna!

I´m posting this on Tuesday and hope the rest of the week is better than the last 3 days...horror stories to share, my friends!

Hasta tarde mis amigos, abrazos y besos!

3 Comments:

  • Heather, is was good to chat with you live and in person moments ago. Traveling abroad is indeed an adventure, sometimes good....sometimes not. Glad you are weathering the storms with grace and allowing the positive to shine.

    Hummm. Save me some time won't you? A translation of some of your spanish would save me from doing a treasure hunt of words and phrases online. Ha, ha.

    Hope you sleep better and more consistently as your trip progresses. You are loved!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:10 PM  

  • Oh dear! That doesn't sound too good. Try to make the best of it! Hopefully, there will a few more nice places to visit in Barca in the coming days.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:15 PM  

  • Way to go, leave us with a cliff hanger, "Horror stories to share"!!! ;o)

    Hope the rest of the trip is more comfortable as far as the hostels and sleeping. Give your traveling partner my regards...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home