Globe-trotting destroys ethnocentricity
The title of this post is a quote from my Rick Steves Istanbul guidebook. I highlighted it a month or so ago when I first read it, and it is so true. Being in a country with a different language, culture, and predominant religion other than your own is a very humbling experience. And while it is sometimes intimidating, I *so* appreciate being outside of my bubble comfort zone of home. Don't get me wrong...traveling abroad makes me appreciate my home even more -- both the people I love and the places that feel comfortable, safe, and well, like HOME. But pushing yourself, whether it is a little or a lot, to go somewhere new is an amazing feeling.
Emin and I met up at Hagia Sofia yesterday afternoon and walked around a bit of the old city and paused to enjoy views. It was nice to take several hours to just *be*. Also, apple tea is quite nice :-)

Emin and I then found my friend Arda just across the Galata Bridge in the newer district of town. Arda helped me navigate public transport for the first time, and we wondered around Taksim, the area that several of my friends consider to be the "real" or "current" Istanbul. It was PACKED with people walking around in all directions, and cozy side streets hosted a brillant array of cafes and restaurants. Some streets were on a hill and curved around gently, creating both a very intimate and energizing atmosphere. And *everyone* was drinking raki, the alcoholic drink in Turkey.
This morning (Wednesday) Tony was unable to meet me to travel to a nearby island, so my Canadian roommates invited me to join them for a trip to the Blue Mosque and Topkapi Palace. Afterwards I suggested a "famous" restaurant mentioned in my guidebook, and we filled up on tasty protein -- meatballs that are more like sausages.
Now I'm off to meet Emin again and see what the rest of the day brings. It is WICKED hot today, so we'll probably stay in the shade or visit a museum.
Cheers!
The title of this post is a quote from my Rick Steves Istanbul guidebook. I highlighted it a month or so ago when I first read it, and it is so true. Being in a country with a different language, culture, and predominant religion other than your own is a very humbling experience. And while it is sometimes intimidating, I *so* appreciate being outside of my bubble comfort zone of home. Don't get me wrong...traveling abroad makes me appreciate my home even more -- both the people I love and the places that feel comfortable, safe, and well, like HOME. But pushing yourself, whether it is a little or a lot, to go somewhere new is an amazing feeling.
Emin and I met up at Hagia Sofia yesterday afternoon and walked around a bit of the old city and paused to enjoy views. It was nice to take several hours to just *be*. Also, apple tea is quite nice :-)

Emin and I then found my friend Arda just across the Galata Bridge in the newer district of town. Arda helped me navigate public transport for the first time, and we wondered around Taksim, the area that several of my friends consider to be the "real" or "current" Istanbul. It was PACKED with people walking around in all directions, and cozy side streets hosted a brillant array of cafes and restaurants. Some streets were on a hill and curved around gently, creating both a very intimate and energizing atmosphere. And *everyone* was drinking raki, the alcoholic drink in Turkey.
This morning (Wednesday) Tony was unable to meet me to travel to a nearby island, so my Canadian roommates invited me to join them for a trip to the Blue Mosque and Topkapi Palace. Afterwards I suggested a "famous" restaurant mentioned in my guidebook, and we filled up on tasty protein -- meatballs that are more like sausages.
Now I'm off to meet Emin again and see what the rest of the day brings. It is WICKED hot today, so we'll probably stay in the shade or visit a museum.
Cheers!

3 Comments:
Ahhh,*a soft sigh*....I can almost see the cozy side streets with their brillian array of cafes and restaurants. It sounds so lovely!
You have a way with words my girl.
Love you, miss you....<3
By
Anonymous, at 3:51 PM
I can understand how you feel. A deep appreciation for people and their cultures comes to be when one experiences personally. We are so affected by what we read or watch on TV. Real life experiences truly bring about understanding.
Did you sample Raki? I took "everyone" to literally mean...
Love and miss you :o)
By
Anonymous, at 5:27 PM
that's a really deep quote.
By
math jedi, at 9:09 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home