It doesn't happen to you, you happen to life

Monday, June 19, 2006

Day 7 in Sydney

I stayed in bed until 8am today -- wow!!! :-)

I took my time getting ready and chatted with Adrian, Andrew, and their roommate Nicky (another student affairs professional -- a res lifer!) before heading out on the town. Since Katie and I got rained out of the Coastal Walk, I decided to brave the ominous skies and catch the bus to Bondi Beach. When I arrived I felt a few sprinkles, but thankfully it stopped after a few minutes, and I was off!!

The scenery was gorgeous, especially between Bondi and Tamarama. After that, the Coastal Walk is "ok," but still excellent exercise and very peaceful. I had passed Bronte Beach (one of the several beaches you pass along the 5k walk) and was on the way to Coogee (the final point) when the walk took you along the outskirts of a cemetary. It was kind of odd to be walking through there, and when it started to sprinkle again and the coastal line didn't look too spectacular ahead, I decided to head back to Bondi.

I caught the bus back to Circular Quay and ate my lunch (lemon and dill salmon from a packet with rice crackers and an apple, woohoo) by the Opera House :-). Then, I decided I just had to stop at Gelatissimo, a place I pass wherever I walk in Sydney, selling amazing looking gelato. They had a special for 2 flavors in a cup or cone, so I tried pistachio and tiramisu -- yum!!! To burn off the calories, I kept walking and ended up in The Rocks, so I figured I might as well use my "free" entry to the Pylon Lookout on the Harbour Bridge, which I got when I participated in the Bridge Climb. Walking across the pedestrian path of the Bridge and going up to the lookout provided *super* views of the Opera House. If you come to Sydney, you have to see the Opera House from a higher vantage point to appreciate its size and beauty to the fullest. When I'm on the ground or standing beside it, it just doesn't seem as grand!

After all that walking, I was hungry and tired, so I walked through The Rocks, all the way back down George Street, to Coles to grab a 1.5 litre water bottle for $.77 (the best deal around!!), and then to Sumo Salad to try a *new* salad ;-). I took it back to the hostel, and Adrian and I watched some sports til I headed back to the room for a shower. Now I'm in the internet cafe, and Andrew and I are going to grab some dinner. The salad was a few hours ago, and after the 8+ km I walked today, I'm hungry O:-)

Cheers!

5 Comments:

  • I am so happy Heather for all the beautiful things you have seen and the interesting things you have done. I live Australia thru you each day.

    I love you,
    Mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:30 AM  

  • oh geez...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:23 PM  

  • Now I've decided...if I'm ever blessed to be in the Land of Oz, I must spend time at Bondi Beach, check out the Opera House from the Bridgewalk AND eat at Sumo Salad. Almost feel as though I've been to those places through you. Thursday awaits...look forward to your return!

    Cheers to you My Dear!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:40 PM  

  • A good rest is always a good start for a successful day. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:56 PM  

  • wow... that sounds beautiful! :)
    dgs

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home