Day 10 in Brisbane
My alarm failed to go off this morning!!! Thankfully I woke up in enough time to get dressed, make a PB sandwich, and meet Peter outside of the hostel. I forgot to mention it earlier in the week, but I found natural peanut butter :-) It doesn't have much flavor to it at all (the kinds I get at home are yummy!), but at least I found some to go with the really great gluten free bread they have here. I wish gluten free bread didn't taste like cardboard in the States...I'm determined to find a tasty brand!
Peter sadly informed me that the ferry to the island we had planned on visiting was $100, so we decided to stop at a cafe for breakfast and drive around, looking at the sights. We stopped for a bit and walked through some mangrove trees, which were absolutely gorgeous!! I don't even think I took a photo, but I have a nice memory of how the area looked. After driving and talking for a few hours, we picked up some things to make a salad, and Peter cooked for me again while I did laundry :-). He also introduced me to these great rice wafers with some of the best hummus I've ever had. I found the wafers today (back in Sydney now as I write this...) and bought some :-)
I realized we were cutting it close to the time I needed to return to City Backpackers, so we dashed back to the hostel, and I managed a quick shower before meeting John and Karen for the Brisbane Lions game. John is Sarah's brother, and we met when I watched the State of Origin game at their flat. Although it was my last night in Brissie, I couldn't pull any special favors, and the Lions lost to the Western Bulldogs. Both teams scored over 100 points, but that wasn't enough for the Lions :-(. John and I were surrounded by Bulldogs fans, except for a very quiet family to our left and a little boy in front of us, the lone Lions fan in a family of Bulldogs!! The guy behind us was one of those fans who talks the *entire* game, who talks to each player as they field the ball, coaching them on what they should do. John and I were greatly amused by this :-). We also had a running joke the whole game about how different things would be if we were out on the field -- for the better ;-) -- which is great since I'm a total newbie and John prefers rugby to AFL. John, I hope you don't have any bruises today!!
After the game Karen took us both home, and I almost got misty about my last night in Brisbane. After goodbyes, I headed back to my room and packed up as much as I could -- which was good, because my alarm failed to go off this morning. Again.
I'll try to write about today now (back in Sydney).
Cheers!
My alarm failed to go off this morning!!! Thankfully I woke up in enough time to get dressed, make a PB sandwich, and meet Peter outside of the hostel. I forgot to mention it earlier in the week, but I found natural peanut butter :-) It doesn't have much flavor to it at all (the kinds I get at home are yummy!), but at least I found some to go with the really great gluten free bread they have here. I wish gluten free bread didn't taste like cardboard in the States...I'm determined to find a tasty brand!
Peter sadly informed me that the ferry to the island we had planned on visiting was $100, so we decided to stop at a cafe for breakfast and drive around, looking at the sights. We stopped for a bit and walked through some mangrove trees, which were absolutely gorgeous!! I don't even think I took a photo, but I have a nice memory of how the area looked. After driving and talking for a few hours, we picked up some things to make a salad, and Peter cooked for me again while I did laundry :-). He also introduced me to these great rice wafers with some of the best hummus I've ever had. I found the wafers today (back in Sydney now as I write this...) and bought some :-)
I realized we were cutting it close to the time I needed to return to City Backpackers, so we dashed back to the hostel, and I managed a quick shower before meeting John and Karen for the Brisbane Lions game. John is Sarah's brother, and we met when I watched the State of Origin game at their flat. Although it was my last night in Brissie, I couldn't pull any special favors, and the Lions lost to the Western Bulldogs. Both teams scored over 100 points, but that wasn't enough for the Lions :-(. John and I were surrounded by Bulldogs fans, except for a very quiet family to our left and a little boy in front of us, the lone Lions fan in a family of Bulldogs!! The guy behind us was one of those fans who talks the *entire* game, who talks to each player as they field the ball, coaching them on what they should do. John and I were greatly amused by this :-). We also had a running joke the whole game about how different things would be if we were out on the field -- for the better ;-) -- which is great since I'm a total newbie and John prefers rugby to AFL. John, I hope you don't have any bruises today!!
After the game Karen took us both home, and I almost got misty about my last night in Brisbane. After goodbyes, I headed back to my room and packed up as much as I could -- which was good, because my alarm failed to go off this morning. Again.
I'll try to write about today now (back in Sydney).
Cheers!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home