It doesn't happen to you, you happen to life

Friday, June 16, 2006

Day 9 in Brisbane (this post has been updated, so if you read it ealier today, there are some new bits!)

I took a very lazy start to my morning :-). Got to Queen Street Mall around 10:30 or so and browsed some book stores to find something to read during down times and the flight home. It wasn't really a book store -- they just had tables of books with random prices on the front. I only saw a couple I wanted, and they seemed way overpriced from what I remember from Amazon, so I passed. Remarkably, I also restrained myself from buying two beautiful blue scarves I found -- one was ruffly and the other was silk and had flowers sewn and embroidered all around it. At $49 and $45 each, respectively, it wasn't *too* hard to hold myself back :-P

Thanks to the encouragement of Bunchies, I decided to try a new place to eat. Sumo Salad has been a staple since eating my one meal out is the only way I get any vegetables, but I entered a different food court today to see what I could find. I was making my rounds when two Asian women beckoned me to their store, Purely Fresh. Everything looked amazing, and I had a hard time deciding. They suggested a combination plate, and I picked the middle of 3 sizes. I chose half chicken and craberry salad (which didn't seem to have any mayo, which is good! -- just chicken, cranberries, raisins, carrots, celery, apples, bell peppers, and a couple of other things) and stir-fry veggies. It was one of the best meals I've had since I've been here. Thanks KNay!!!

I meandered across to South Bank again and then around the river to the cliffs where Sarah and her friends go rock climbing. I realized I'd been out and about, walking most of the time, for 4 hours, so I headed back to the hostel to rest, and here I am :-)

Updates to this post will come later, should anything interesting happen with the rest of my Friday.

--Updating at 10pm! I went back to my room and took a very nice power nap...I didn't want to get out of bed, but it was 5pm, and I figured I should check email to touch base with Peter :-). Since I wasn't feeling too well, we decided we'd just connect tomorrow, and I went back to my room to eat dinner and shower. For the first time since I've been in OZ, I bought dessert for myself -- a candy bar from the vending machine O:-). Spending an evening in the TV lounge didn't seem incredibly appealing, so I snagged a book from the "book exchange" box, right outside of my room next to the pool deck by the bar. You're supposed to leave a book if you take one, but I figured I was really only *borrowing*, so I took the the most interesting looking one, Daniel Isn't Talking by Marti Leimbach. Thankfully it's been an excellent read, as my only other choices were books written in German or things that looked unappealing :-). I'm only halfway through and would love to finish it before I leave Brissie, but I really only have tonight, so we'll see!

Busy day tomorrow, so off to bed! Cheers :-)

4 Comments:

  • new places to eat are always good. As you know, that was part of the fun of traveling for me. :)

    dgs

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:01 AM  

  • Hey! I recognize that post from "dgs". Hi Dennis! Hope you're well.

    Now Heather...I trust that "Purely Fresh" was as good as promoted. To receive a rating with the, shall we say, overused "A" word, it had to be Heavenly. Ha, ha. Seriously, glad you ventured to something new. Your meal did sound....uh....awesome!

    Oz has had you long enough. Those of us on the other side of the Planet are ready for your return!

    Love you <3

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:09 AM  

  • Glad to know I still have some pull on you, even from thousands of miles away. Oh and since you aren't around to push me to do my work, I've adopted Anna Williams as my "get to it" girl. :-) You should see if they have any nice maroon scarves while you're at it. I think you look nice in maroon...
    -Bunches of Nay

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:50 AM  

  • Oh and Del Val FINALLY got back to me... with a no. Which I had expected this late in the game. So there goes two job possibilities at once. I still have my hometown community college next week. Salary range for their entry level student activities job: $32-48,000. I think I could handle that range at entry level. Plus the only programming they really do is during the day (due to the high commuter population) so it would be a stu act job that DOESN'T work nights and weekends. That's a first!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home