Day 1 in Brisbane
The flight to Brisbane was just over an hour, and one of my local contacts Col was there to pick me up, holding a sign with my last name -- made me feel quite important :-) We hopped in his car and headed into the city, and he showed me the walkways on either side of the Brisbane River, the Citycat that takes you down the river, pedestrian bridges I may want to use, and how to get to QUT next week.
The hostel I'm staying at is such a change from the one in Sydney -- much bigger, and it has a cafe and bar downstairs that's open to the public, so there's lots of people about. And I didn't meet any Americans in Sydney, but the only other people in the internet cafe with me right now are Americans. My room is downright spiffy -- I'll even have to take a photo and share :-)
We ate at The Coffee Club, a cafe down the street (very yummy!), and then I looked around the nearby mall and found a Cole's so I could buy a few groceries. After dropping those off at the hostel, I headed out on a walk Col suggested, taking a bridge across the river, walking along the river walks on the South Bank, and then eventually crossing another bridge to head back to the hostel.
I'm hoping to touch base with my pal Peter tonight so we can meet up sometime soon, and tomorrow morning I'm off to the Australia Zoo!
Cheers :-)
The flight to Brisbane was just over an hour, and one of my local contacts Col was there to pick me up, holding a sign with my last name -- made me feel quite important :-) We hopped in his car and headed into the city, and he showed me the walkways on either side of the Brisbane River, the Citycat that takes you down the river, pedestrian bridges I may want to use, and how to get to QUT next week.
The hostel I'm staying at is such a change from the one in Sydney -- much bigger, and it has a cafe and bar downstairs that's open to the public, so there's lots of people about. And I didn't meet any Americans in Sydney, but the only other people in the internet cafe with me right now are Americans. My room is downright spiffy -- I'll even have to take a photo and share :-)
We ate at The Coffee Club, a cafe down the street (very yummy!), and then I looked around the nearby mall and found a Cole's so I could buy a few groceries. After dropping those off at the hostel, I headed out on a walk Col suggested, taking a bridge across the river, walking along the river walks on the South Bank, and then eventually crossing another bridge to head back to the hostel.
I'm hoping to touch base with my pal Peter tonight so we can meet up sometime soon, and tomorrow morning I'm off to the Australia Zoo!
Cheers :-)

2 Comments:
oooh... the zoo... have fun!
-dgs
By
Anonymous, at 2:04 AM
Sounds like you were given a great welcome to Brissie! Will be interesting to note which City, Sydney or Brisbane, captures your fancy as personal Australian fav.
The Coffee Club was "yummy" but inquiring minds want to know what you had that merited such praise.
Homesick at all?
By
Anonymous, at 8:57 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home