It doesn't happen to you, you happen to life

Monday, November 19, 2007

From C to shining C

Last winter Katie and I visited the UK for the first time by spending just over a week in London. During this time we were fortunate to meet my long-time online friend Kev and all his mates. We liked them all so much that we went back to London for a week in May, and our new friend Robin took the week off from work to spend time with us.

Now after months of anticipation, Robin is stateside and spending a week in Virginia! He landed in Washington, DC on Saturday afternoon, and Katie and I greeted him at the airport with an obnoxiously huge sign :-). I admit I got a little lost on the way to McLean (*coughsputterlaugh*) but after settling into the hotel we headed over to Tyson's Corner for dinner at Cheesecake Factory and shopping at Macy's. Reminder: While the exchange rate from pounds to dollars is tragic for Americans, it means Robin gets everything at 50% off ;-)



After returning to the hotel and getting a few hours of sleep, Dan met us for breakfast at the Silver Diner -- Robin seemed quite pleased to eat at a "proper diner" in comparison to the wanna-be diners in London ;-) It was great to start the day off with a good meal because we certainly worked it off by day's end...

I managed not to get us lost (again) on our way to the Metro. The "Kiss and Ride" area of the Metro parking lot amused Robin greatly :-)

We made our way to Arlington Cemetary, took the Metro to Lincoln Memorial (which I'd never seen before and LOVED), walked to the Vietnam Memorial, back to the Reflecting Pool (my American Green Park), and then walked to the Washington Monument and White House. The walking was wonderful exercise and we were on foot for most of the day, reminding me of my sight-seeing adventures abroad. We couldn't have asked for better weather, but after walking for hours and seeing the horribly tacky and ugly National Christmas Tree, we were ready to find the nearest Metro station and head to Centreville for dinner!

Thanks to Google Maps, Robin, and Dan, we made it to Carrabba's relatively unscathed to meet Dan, Ana, and Paul for dinner. Great friends, food, and atmosphere made for a wonderful time, and then Dan, Robin, Katie, and I headed over to Sweetwater Tavern for the heavenly Chocolate Waffle before heading back home.

We're safe back in B'ville/C'ville, and I'm uploading photos and blogging away while my partners in crime seem to be sleeping :-) My camera battery died yesterday, so Katie and Robin have photos that I'll need to snag and post. In the meantime, my photos of the trip are here.

Cheers ♥

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home