Yesterday I left work around 2:30pm and headed to DC for an Editors gig at the 9:30 Club! I was introduced to the Editors in May when I attended their show at the Roundhouse in Camden while visiting the London crew. Before the show I had listened to half of their first album, and since then, I've had both of their albums on loop.
Dan and I are both fans, so when we realized they'd have a brief stateside tour, we jumped at the chance to see them in DC. We met up for dinner after work (Sweetwater's Chocolate Waffle is insanely, amazingly good!!!) and then I took a quick 15-minute power nap before venturing into DC on the Metro.
The 9:30 Club wasn't what I expected, but I ended up enjoying the venue. I heard of it years ago but never made it for a show, and if it had not been for the bouncers donning a tshirt simply stating "9:30," I would have thought we were in the wrong place altogether. We entered into a completely packed house and found a good place to stand in the back, dead center, with short enough people in front of me that I had a clear view of the stage. It's a small, intimate venue and there's not a bad "seat" in the house. And by the time we finally got there, we'd missed both opening acts but were right on time to find our spots and settle in before the band took stage.
What a great set they played! They hit all of my favorites and suprised me with the songs I deemed as their best performances of the night.
Bones *
Bullets
Escape The Nest *
Blood ***
Fall
An End Has a Start
All Sparks
When Anger Shows *
Lights
Racing Rats ***
Weight of the World *
Munich *** ^
Open Your Arms
Encore (which we missed)
*** Best performances (imo)
* (Currently) my favorite tracks on An End Has a Start album
^ My favorite track on The Back Room album
I hated to miss the encore, but the Metro was going to close shortly thereafter and we didn't want to get stuck in DC and have to take a taxi back to Arlington! I fell asleep shortly after 1:00, waking up just once around 3:00, and then slept soundly til the pesky alarm at 5:00. We managed to get to my car in Centreville by 6:00 and I was at work by 8:15. Not bad at all!
So glad I went to see them play, even on a "school night," but bummed that I won't have a chance to see them for quite a while. I'd *love* to catch their upcoming Berlin gig!
Dan and I are both fans, so when we realized they'd have a brief stateside tour, we jumped at the chance to see them in DC. We met up for dinner after work (Sweetwater's Chocolate Waffle is insanely, amazingly good!!!) and then I took a quick 15-minute power nap before venturing into DC on the Metro.
The 9:30 Club wasn't what I expected, but I ended up enjoying the venue. I heard of it years ago but never made it for a show, and if it had not been for the bouncers donning a tshirt simply stating "9:30," I would have thought we were in the wrong place altogether. We entered into a completely packed house and found a good place to stand in the back, dead center, with short enough people in front of me that I had a clear view of the stage. It's a small, intimate venue and there's not a bad "seat" in the house. And by the time we finally got there, we'd missed both opening acts but were right on time to find our spots and settle in before the band took stage.
What a great set they played! They hit all of my favorites and suprised me with the songs I deemed as their best performances of the night.
Bones *
Bullets
Escape The Nest *
Blood ***
Fall
An End Has a Start
All Sparks
When Anger Shows *
Lights
Racing Rats ***
Weight of the World *
Munich *** ^
Open Your Arms
Encore (which we missed)
*** Best performances (imo)
* (Currently) my favorite tracks on An End Has a Start album
^ My favorite track on The Back Room album
I hated to miss the encore, but the Metro was going to close shortly thereafter and we didn't want to get stuck in DC and have to take a taxi back to Arlington! I fell asleep shortly after 1:00, waking up just once around 3:00, and then slept soundly til the pesky alarm at 5:00. We managed to get to my car in Centreville by 6:00 and I was at work by 8:15. Not bad at all!
So glad I went to see them play, even on a "school night," but bummed that I won't have a chance to see them for quite a while. I'd *love* to catch their upcoming Berlin gig!

1 Comments:
Glad to see that you made it back awake... Great to see you as always!
~chewie~
By
@binarybrewery, at 9:51 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home