It doesn't happen to you, you happen to life

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

WOW!!! I just watched one of the most thrilling athletic matches of my life, and that's no exaggeration.

Last June I watched the Queensland Maroons take on the New South Wales Blues from my new friend Sarah's flat. The game was being played in Brissie, just a few miles down the road! And after several years of disappointment, the Maroons took the State of Origin title a few weeks later in game three.

Three weeks ago Katie, Dave, and I cheered on the Maroons from the Walkabout bar in Covent Garden.

This morning I TIVOed the match, as it was live in Sydney at 8pm and airing at 6am here. As soon as I got home from work, I put on my Queesland shirt I bought last June, made myself Pimms and lemon-lime, ate a Lion bar, and hoped for the best. I was not disappointed!!!

The match was an absolute nailbiter! The Maroons looked so strong a few weeks ago but really struggled in the first half tonight and the score was tied at just 6 points a piece going into the half. In the second half, the Maroons managed to score one more try but failed to get the 2 point kick afterwards. And during the course of the game, the Maroons came close to three additional tries, only to goof it up right at the line. Somehow though, even with all of that, they held the Blues in the last few minutes brilliantly. The Blues had at least three "easy" opportunities to score in the last two minutes alone but couldn't produce the goods.

When Katie realized that Sydney was in New South Wales, she cheered against me for the rest of the night. She got excited and we yelped at every foul and hit. And in the last 20 minutes, we were both so tense.

A quote from the Queensland website sums up my feelings perfectly:
"ANOTHER Origin, another coronary. Rugby league's answer to the double bacon cheeseburger served up more heart attacks yet again as Queensland outlasted New South Wales 10-6 in Sydney to clinch the 2007 series."

My heart is still pounding from the excitement, and the One Tree Hill season finale starts any minute. That's another coronary waiting to happen.

Cheers <3

1 Comments:

  • Where did you get a Lion bar from?! It was a great match - I had to listen to the commentary and watch live score updates online. I'm sure it would have been a great one to see!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home