It doesn't happen to you, you happen to life

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Where in the world is...?




About 14 years ago I watched the geography game show "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?" in 6th grade social studies class. In the last few years, I've thought it would be cool to be like Carmen -- minus the whole international criminal mastermind thing. You know, traveling the globe, wondering where my next adventure would be, and having friends and family wondering the same.

Enter Matt Harding.

I'm not sure when I first found Matt's site, but it was probably a result of researching RTW trips. Chances are you've seen his dancing video online or on TV.

Reading Matt's story, I think about what an *incredibly* lucky guy he is...you're on a RTW with a friend, post a fun video online when you get home, and eventually a gum company sponsors two trips around the world for you to keep making videos. Nice. But the dancing videos aren't the only cool part. Matt's really funny too. I've read a number of his blog posts, and I like his voice (i.e., his writing style). Entertaining, descriptive, and at times snarky.

Last week I received an invite to come dance in DC with him and any other folks that had signed up for his dance & travel updates. I invited a few folks along and we made a day of it!

Kathy's birthday is this coming week, so we spent the day together enjoying goodies from The Office, lunch and dinner out, and a trip to Trader Joe's. In the middle of all of that was a metro ride to Union Station to meet Matt. We left the station and walked a ways to dance a few takes in front of a fountain near the Capitol building. Then we walked towards the Washington Monument and did a few more takes there. If one of these clips makes the video that comes out next June, you probably won't be able to see me, but Matt did stand in between me and Kathy for a couple of takes :-)

If you haven't seen Matt's site before, check it out. And if you're reading this Matt, thanks for including us in on your fun!

Cheers m'dears.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home