It doesn't happen to you, you happen to life

Saturday, January 06, 2007

London, Day 6, 04.01.07

Another late start on our last day -- jetlag still proved a mighty foe!

We got a Tube pass and headed out to Tower Bridge first. Instead of going up, we just walked across and back, as the wind had picked up!

Then we took the Tube to Piccadilly to visit Fortnum and Mason because Katie was going to pick up some tea to bring home for a friend. I was so glad she had suggested we visit, because the store was amazing! I'm not a tea drinker, but there were so many varieties, and they had all sorts of jams and other goodies. We all ended up buying something O:-)

Katie and dad had voted Gourmet Pizza Company as their favorite place, so back on the Tube to grab lunch there one more time. I'm not sure which was better -- the Thai Chicken I'd had the first time or the Vegetarian this time.

The day had passed more quickly then we had anticipated, and we walked back to the hotel to pack up for our return to the states the next day. Along the way, I was stopped in the middle of the road and asked for directions to Buckingham Palace, and I was able to help -- love it. Then, we headed back out to Victoria station to meet up with Kev, Gemma, Andi, Dave, Robin, Duncan, Antony, and my pal Chris (who's from the UK but works with me at the university -- very cool to see each other on his side of the Atlantic). Saying goodbye was hard, but some of the gang has already decided they want to fly into Germany and see me for a couple of days when I go this summer!

After a few hours of sleep, we were up again to head to Heathrow. To save a few pounds, we got the crazy notion to walk with our luggage to Victoria station instead of getting a taxi. Then, we had to lift up our bags and carry them up and down steps within the station. And we knew it would be rushhour, but taking the 45 minute Tube journey was going to save us heaps. I'm not sure what I had expected, but the Tube was *packed* and thankfully once we changed from the District to Piccadilly line at Hammersmith, it was smooth sailing to Heathrow. I'm typing this post now that I'm back home, and several muscles in my arms are sore from all of that lifting and carrying luggage -- it totalled about 45 minutes worth at least yesterday!

Arriving at Heathrow had been a quick and pleasant experience, but all of the procedures to leave took ages. The flight was okay and by the time we landed, I was super exhausted, as several people I spoke with on the phone on the way home can attest O:-) I think we all slept a few hours last night, but jetlag had us up bright and early, and I've been preparing for my business trip to New York. I haven't even unpacked yet from London, and I have to leave the house in a few hours ;-) Time to make it work!

Cheers <3 Until Germany!

1 Comments:

  • Heya its Robin,

    Glad to hear you landed safely. You're now a proper Londoner having experienced a packed tube like that. ha ha.

    I'm impressed you gave directions to Buckingham Palace sounds like you've learned the route well.

    I hope you recover from the jet lag to enjoy NYC.

    Once again it was great meeting all you and I hope we can meet up in Germany.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home