It doesn't happen to you, you happen to life

Friday, September 15, 2006

I have found myself using an Aussie slang term *all* of the time, and when it just slipped again, I had to post.

Sure, people in the US used to say it too...maybe back in the '50s. While it's no longer a slang term you'll EVER hear here (save for Nick at Night reruns of Leave it to Beaver), the young 20-somethings down under say "HEAPS," and it's COOL.

HEAPS, as in "very much" or "a large amount."

Several people I met in OZ used "heaps" like Paris Hilton says "That's hot." And of all the slang I could have picked up and brought home in June (e.g., "no worries," "how ya going," etc.), HEAPS has found it's way into my every day vocabulary, and believe me not by choice. It's not that I don't appreciate how great it is to say it in OZ, but it's just not so popular back in the states. Whether it's at work, the gym, or at home, there are heaps of "activities, people, WHATEVER" that I mention to friends, family and colleagues. It just surprised me that this is the word I have incorporated into my everyday speech.

That and "cheers." :-)

Cheers, m'dears!

2 Comments:

  • haha... that's funny. heaps funny.

    By Blogger math jedi, at 10:35 AM  

  • I tend to say no worries a lot, and I didn't start saying it until you went to Oz, so I blame you, whether you say it or not!

    I pointed out to an American friend of mine that we don't use awesome much over here, but it's quite a common word over there.

    Isn't language fascinating!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home