It doesn't happen to you, you happen to life

Sunday, May 27, 2007

It was fantastic to wake up this morning and have nearly all of my friends at the flat! Thankfully I'm not the only early riser, and we enjoyed some great early morning conversation before Katie and I had to get up, packed, and head off to Bermondsey station.

For the first time all week it rained! Typical for London of course, but we were thankful that we had gorgeous weather all week. Robin continued to prove himself as a super friend (and perhaps a glutton for punishment) by helping us with our bags and taking the tube with us to Heathrow. Robin, you were absolutely brilliant this week, and Katie and I appreciate you so much.

Maybe I have been a bit spoiled in London, as most anyone I have had a significant interaction with has been a friend. Today, I had my first "negative" experience with an English woman and actually felt angry (your wish is granted, Dave!). I had just managed to find my check-in area and was attempting to figure out which line I should be in, as the check-in process was just slightly different. Figuring that it didn't matter which of the two "stations" I went to, I got in line, or so I thought. This woman behind me turns to me about 30 seconds after I have been standing there. In a very proper and frosty tone she says, "The queue is back there." I nod sincerely and reply "I know." She shakes her head and tells me to go to the end of the queue where I belong. "Oh, I have been standing here." She and her friend stare at me. "No, I don't believe so. See, we queue here in England." OH boy, did that get to me. A generalization and stereotype of course, but I've heard how the Brits love a good queue. And far be it from me to jump lines and disrepect other people's time or airport etiquette. But she was so mean about it, and when I realized that I could be in another queue all together, I excused myself and slipped away, as she told her friend how "They like to push around."

Just an hour later, I was lapping the departure terminal and browsing little shops, waiting to learn the location of my gate. While I was in a QUEUE to buy my sandwich and water, a guy came up to me and asked, "Are you a Brit?" Being slightly caught off guard, I had not paid attention to his accent, so I just shook my head no. Then he asked if I knew how much his purchase would be converted to American dollars. Easy question, but of course he didn't like my answer ;-) Turns out he's an American returning to LA from Germany and we had a nice little chat in line. I much preferred this queue O:-)

Soon enough I was on my way to Stuttgart, and I was so tired that I actually slept nearly the entire trip, which is unheard of for me -- nevermind that the trip was short ;-) Gunther and I found each other immediately and got to his place in a flash from the airport. So far I have met his parents and brother, and we are getting ready to chat about our day in Heidelberg tomorrow. And then, a good night's rest for this sleepy girl.

Cheers ♥

3 Comments:

  • kind of sad that there have to be snobs everywhere you go... oh well. :)

    By Blogger math jedi, at 5:51 PM  

  • Glad your journey to Germany wasn't too bad, and I hope you realise I'm not happy to hear somebody managed to get you angry... Hope you have a good time in Heidelberg!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:43 PM  

  • hmmm, i'll hold back on my computer science interpretation of the queue... i wonder if they have stacks there as well...

    By Blogger @binarybrewery, at 10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home