Nifty 50th post!
I read a fabulous article in my Frommer's e-newsletter this morning and had to share it. Little did I know that this would also be my 50th post, until I logged in. *Tosses confetti*
Many people have been surprised at the relatively short intervals between my trips abroad. So how do I make it work? Two things. One, traveling is a major priority for me right now, so I save and use my fun money on international adventures. I rarely buy things for myself, so saving has not been overly challenging. Two, I aspire to be a budget traveler. Often it's more fun and economical that way!
One way to save money and have a wonderful time is to stay with people in the country you're visiting. Kristin Luna wrote a fanstastic article about "backpacker clubs." If you are willing to host travelers in your home for a few nights, you post a profile and meet people in other countries who are willing to host travelers as well. While I have never stayed in someone's home and no one has stayed with me, I have received requests from travelers and sent out some of my own. And though I stayed in a hostel during my time in Brisbane, I met another "backpacker club" member Peter and we spent a couple of days together hanging out. He even cooked for me on several occasions and let me wash clothes at his place!
I can understand people's skepticism for these types of opportunities. I am not sure, however, if I can explain the implicit trust I have in the people who belong to these "clubs" and my international friends who, for now, I know only online. It's a community of trust, and if you desire to be a part of it, you can earn and develop that trust quickly.
Check out the article...Kristin shares an interesting and unique perspective.
Thank you to those I originally met online and who have trusted me with your friendship, whether we have met "IRL" or not. And, to the friends of those friends who have welcomed me. You know who you are ♥
I read a fabulous article in my Frommer's e-newsletter this morning and had to share it. Little did I know that this would also be my 50th post, until I logged in. *Tosses confetti*
Many people have been surprised at the relatively short intervals between my trips abroad. So how do I make it work? Two things. One, traveling is a major priority for me right now, so I save and use my fun money on international adventures. I rarely buy things for myself, so saving has not been overly challenging. Two, I aspire to be a budget traveler. Often it's more fun and economical that way!
One way to save money and have a wonderful time is to stay with people in the country you're visiting. Kristin Luna wrote a fanstastic article about "backpacker clubs." If you are willing to host travelers in your home for a few nights, you post a profile and meet people in other countries who are willing to host travelers as well. While I have never stayed in someone's home and no one has stayed with me, I have received requests from travelers and sent out some of my own. And though I stayed in a hostel during my time in Brisbane, I met another "backpacker club" member Peter and we spent a couple of days together hanging out. He even cooked for me on several occasions and let me wash clothes at his place!
I can understand people's skepticism for these types of opportunities. I am not sure, however, if I can explain the implicit trust I have in the people who belong to these "clubs" and my international friends who, for now, I know only online. It's a community of trust, and if you desire to be a part of it, you can earn and develop that trust quickly.
Check out the article...Kristin shares an interesting and unique perspective.
Thank you to those I originally met online and who have trusted me with your friendship, whether we have met "IRL" or not. And, to the friends of those friends who have welcomed me. You know who you are ♥

3 Comments:
Yay to 50th post!
Self promotion is not a bad thing!
By
Anonymous, at 6:31 PM
Happy 50th Post!!!
By
Andi, at 9:32 PM
Happy 50th Post for ages ago :p
By
Anonymous, at 8:51 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home